Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Great work figuring out the answers to the quiz! The quiz images were from the satellite GeoEye-1 and they are just so awesome to look at.
Here are the answers in case any of the questions stumped you, and below is a more complete listing of areas updated.
1) This Asian city is at the center of the Hexi Corridor and Marco Polo has spent a year in this ancient city.
-- Zhangye, China
2) The nickname "City of Lights" just gives this one away.
-- Perth, Australia
3) Tangerines were named for this city, the first one to ship the fruit to Europe.
-- Tangier, Morroco
4) This city has a government building named the "The Custom House".
-- Dublin, Ireland
5) This city is home of the two time winner of the FIBA EuroLeague Women.
-- Como, Italy
6) This northern Canadian city started its first oil boom when it struck oil on February 13, 1947.
-- Leduc, Canada
7) This beautiful rail station is central to this Asian mega-city.
-- Beijing, China (Beijing South Rail Station)
8) A major UN convention on biodiversity was held in this city in 2006.
-- Curitiba, Brazil
9) This lake is a few kilometers outside the city created in 1937 to be the headquarters for the western mining group of the High Katanga Mining Association.
-- Kolwezi, Democratic Republic of Congo
Following is a more complete version of the updates in this data push:
United States: Thurston County (WA), Spokane (WA), Albuquerque (NM), Jackson (MS), Winnebago County (IL), Boone County (IL), Ogle County (IL), Lee County (IL), Dekalb County (IL), La Salle County (IL), Putnam County (OH), Van West County (OH), Mercer County (OH), Paulding County (OH), Shelby County (OH), Union County (OH), Morrow County (OH), Richland County (OH), Seneca County (OH), Sandusky County (OH), Ottawa County (OH), Wayne County (OH), Cabton County (OH), Tuscarawas County (OH), Harrisburg (PA), Winston-Salem (NC), Greensboro (NC), Hyde County (NC), Onslow County (NC), New Hanover County (NC), Gulf County (FL), Jackson, Liberty County (FL), Jefferson County (FL), Columbia County (FL), Gilchrist County (FL), Levy County (FL), Citrus County (FL), Lake County (FL), Sumter County (FL), Hernando County (FL), Sarasota County (FL), Osceola County (FL), Indian River County (FL), Okeechobee County (FL), Saint Lucie County (FL), Collier County (FL), Monroe County (FL), Mineola (TX), State of Missouri, State of South Carolina, the Coast of Georgia, and the Coast of Mississippi
Canada: Leduc (BC)
Mexico: Guadalajara, Leon de Los Aldama
Bolivia: La Paz
Brazil: Curitiba, Tocantins, Aracatuba,
Argentina: Rio Cuarto, Santa Rosa,
Europe, Middle East, & Africa:
Ireland: Dublin, Cork
Belgium: entire country
Italy: Amalfi, Como
Spain: Beasain, Costa del Sol
Morocco: Casablanca, Agadir, Safi, Larache
Gibralter: entire country
Saudi Arabia: Mecca
Oman: Masqat, Salalah
Zambia: Lusaka, Livingstone
Democratic Republic of the Congo: Kolwezi
Asia & Oceania:
Australia: Perth, Sunshine Coast, Thuringowa
China: Bejing, Baoji, Lanzhou
South Korea: Busan
Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
New 2.5m base imagery for: Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal, The Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Doha, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand.
For even more fun exploring the new imagery, here is a KML outlining all the areas receiving new data.